Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring is Finally Here


It was a different week. One day was spent getting rid of the rubbish in the flat in Newport that had accumulated through the transfers of many sets of missionaries and one day was spent purchasing and delivering new mattresses for the Sisters, then disposing of the old ones. We spend a lot of time preparing lessons for Institute and Sunday School as well as studying Preach My Gospel and the scriptures in connection with that. I think studying PMG is my favorite thing to do other than being with our Institute students.  We have also spent a lot of time studying the "Teaching Emphasis" and TIP, both on how to improve our teaching. 

Our Institute students are making a video of the a scene from the Book of Mormon about the interaction of Ammon and the two King Lamonis as seen through the eyes of an unlikely investigator. They have gone to a lot of work, preparing the script, getting costumes and props and learning a Bollywood dance scene to end the video. I admire their abilities and their hard work.  

We have had an opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the Spring that has finally arrived. The sun has been shining all week and the daffodils are blooming everywhere. You see them in the lawns of the commons, covering the center of roundabouts, in the park by the castle, along fence lines at the schools, in flower boxes in the city and even on our dining room table. They bring joy. 

We learned that the new Family Search is available here in the London Temple area. I was excited and tried to use it, but was not allowed to do so.  I'm not a part of this temple district because my membership is still in Bountiful. This new avenue of research and name submission is not yet available in Bountiful, and if I understand correctly, it is not available in Utah yet so as all around me are enjoying it, we can't.  

David Beale came and brought us an English treat: Marmite. He absolutely loves it. I will never understand why. It is foul smelling and disgusting to eat. He grew up with it and I cannot fathom why people eat it. You spread it on buttered bread. Mostly it is made of yeast. The only good thing about it is the cute bottle it comes in. David laughed and laughed as he had us eat some.  Perhaps it is an acquired taste.  

We have discovered one thing wonderful food-wise. Marks & Spencer. Their food is delicious. It costs a little more but everything is top quality and really very good and best of all, they have a lot of pre-made items you just pop in the microwave or oven. I like their clothing as well and when I am rich and famous I will buy some. 

3 comments:

Becky said...

I would think people in the British Isles would care about St. Patrick's Day. There was lots of green here in Bountiful, Utah! I thought spring was here too, but today we are having thunder storms and we are expecting SNOW over night. Enough is enough. It's baseball season now. I worked on genealogy last Sunday during the last hour with Jake and Sam, but Sam kept asking me to search for some of our relatives in Jamaica. . . Looks like fun in England!

Uriona Family said...

When you are rich and famous? You already are aren't you? In my book you are so go buy those clothes, and then model them for the blog. Can't wait to see!

Love ya!

Larson Family said...

I swear Marks & Spencer is the only way I survived over there, with so little money to eat. I really loved it! Glad you found it!