Sunday, December 6, 2009

Winter & the Christmas Season are Upon Us

We are so excited to have Elders Clark and Halaufia in our Ward. They were asked to bear their testimonies Sunday. Elder Halaufia was born in Tonga but raised in Florida, even playing football for the University of Florida (or was it Florida University). He said, "I prayed and prayed to know if the Book of Mormon was true. I never got an answer. I prayed to know if I should go on a mission. When I went to Church the Bishop asked me if I would like to go on a mission. That was my answer. I now know the Book of Mormon is true. There is power in that book." Elder Clark, from Idaho, said, "I know that the Book of Mormon is a tangible piece of Heavenly Father's love. Being on a mission brings me happiness, the greatest happiness I have ever known."

I have newly discovered this quote by Sir Winston Churchill, and I love it. It applies so perfectly to missionary work: "Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." When I see the missionaries doing this very thing, my heart is filled with love for them as they continue with full faith and an optimistic spirit in their efforts to find, teach and encourage others to accept Christ and remain faithful to His church. It isn't easy, but they actually do it.

I was amazed at the ambitious plan Kaylee Hillier and Jess Witts had to have our students build a nativity scene in one activity after Institute last week, but they did it. I love that we now have an Institute Nativity and I think it is very cute. Nice job Cardiff YSA!


As we inspected missionary flats it was evident that the Christmas spirit has touched our missionaries. Two flats had Christmas trees and the other had adorable Christmas decorations. It was hard for me to see one missionary receive many, many Christmas packages and the companion receive nothing. I am hopeful that all will receive something before Christmas. I know if they don't their companion will share. Christmas is joyful, but can be hard for some missionaries. Notes or other remembrances from home mean so much to them.

The Institute Choir sounded wonderful at the Saturday night session of Stake Conference. I am so impressed that they will sacrifice so much to be at every meeting they are asked to attend. Besides all the demands of university and work, they devote an amazing amount of time to the Church, many of them holding positions of great responsibility in their wards. They inspire me.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like a fun week! The nativity is darling, and I sure would love to hear the choir. I'm sure it sounds great! It is so much fun to sing in one of Dad's choirs!!

Becky said...

Your weekly posts are inspiring. Maybe next year I will blog by week instead of event. It might keep me on a better schedule. I too love the nativity.

We only put out about 20 of our this year. Too much else going on and we got a late start at decorating.

Have a great week!