Wednesday, October 8, 2008

General Conference





General Conferences are my favorite times of the year.  Of course it always rains, but it also cleanses, lifts and renews.  H Burke Peterson, a dear friend of ours, has given us perfect advice before each General Conference.  He tells us to do three things: 1) Before Conference consider your concerns, needs and questions, then pray that you will receive inspiration regarding them; 2) During Conference write down your impressions, whether or not it was something spoken; and 3) Take a nap - between sessions.  I try to do this every April and October. This time I wrote down seven impressions and I would like to share a few of them. 1) Ask our family members to pray for us when we are on our mission then always remember that they are doing so; 2) Be more reverent during the prelude music before sacrament meeting and don't use it as a time to give messages to others; 3) We should not try so much to impart new information when we teach as to bring the Holy Ghost into the teaching; 4) Use our best efforts to get more young adults involved in the seminaries and institute programs in Cardiff and South Wales; 5) Believe in angels - and be one.  It would be so interesting to have you share what your impressions were.  I hope that I will not just enjoy General Conference, but will "go and do."  

4 comments:

Julie said...

You have taken the greatest pictures of temple square in each season. I LOVE them! Your excitement and love for conference was impressed upon me from when I was tiny, and it was definitely contagious. I LOVE conference weekends as well! My overall impression this year was that we should be full of hope and peace when the world is in a state of panic. "Avoid debt like the plague" kept running through my mind. If we have followed grandpa's advice, we will be fine.

Cherie said...

I too love TV Church as my kids call it. It is one of the times when I fell safe cand cozy and grateful for all I have. This year I, like Julie, felt like this conference centered on hope and faith. It was a much needed message. One of the other lasting impressions was that we all need to help each other and as Uchdorf(sp) said "lift where we stand". What a great message!

Ruelinda said...

Hi Brother & Sister Cable,
I Stumbled onto your blog as I have a son in the Bimingham Mission. He is actually the Zone Leader in Cardiff right now and loves it there. I would love to tell you more you can email me if you would like to. We live in Providence, Ut. not far from you. I am sure you are so excited. You are going to am amazing place as I am sure you know. How fun for you both. The Stake President is awesome in Cardiff, I have his email address and have communicated with him. Prepare for the cold. It is very wet there. I hope you will get to see my cute boy Elder Alex Bearnson, I am sure you will he has only been in Cardiff for just over 6 weeks so he will be there for a few months I am sure. Good luck, I will be reading your blog for updates.
Ruelinda Bearnson (Mom of a Missionary)

Ruelinda said...

I forgot to include my email address it is ruelindabearnson@gmail.com please feel free to email me with any questions!
Ruelinda