Thursday, October 16, 2008

Frame of Reference


It is somethings surprising to find that things are not as we think.  We project on the unknown ideas and beliefs so familiar to us.  I have learned that there is no Institute at the University of Cardiff like there is at the University of Utah, Utah State, etc., but we will hold our Institute classes in a chapel.  I guess part of the time in the summer the classes were even held on the beach. ("They are a hardy people.")  

I have had other occasions to find this frame of reference thing true recently.  I have found that when I have an opinion of someone, I assume that people I really like have the same opinion of them - and it is not necessarily so.  

I hope in the future I will remember this and not be so quick to form opinions or jump to conclusions.  Pob-bendith.  (I am told that means-- "All Blessings" in Welsh.)  

6 comments:

Joseph and Virginia Cannon said...

Hi to the two of you. Glad to finally get to your blogspot. We hope we've figured out how to respond on a blog. You have done great work on your blog. Keep it up. It's fun to do and will grow brain cells I'm sure. You make it look easy. You will be great for those folks in the land of our forebearers. Joe and Ginny Cannon

Julie said...

Great thoughts and awesome flower--right from my kitchen table!

Cherie said...

Nice thoughts. You need to stop being so profound! It can be intimidating to us shallow thinkers.

em said...

Claudine, I love this blog and look forward to following it while you and Wayne are in Wales! I'm sure there will be many great stories to tell.
I do the SAME thing and assume people I like have the same opinion of people that I have! It's so shocking when they DON'T have the same opinions! ;)

Katie Kerr Wrede said...

You are already learning Welsh!!

I also feel kind of a let down (You didn't say that but I assume you feel that way) when someone I respect doesn't hold similar opinions. But it keeps us on our toes and also helps us know more clearly who we can trust w/our feelings.

You continue to be a delight to all who know you!

Nicole said...

Interesting, I think we all have different frames of reference and every once in a while they are disrupted. They have institute at the church here in Wisconsin too! AND I love the flower picture, it is gorgeous.