Saturday, February 7, 2009

Baptisms, Missionaries & Institute Students

Raymond Shepherd and Elder Cable

Elder Cable and Norland Kapler Mohoukou

Elders Toolson, Burtenshaw, Gerber and Sessions

Elders Gerber and Toolson, Elder and Sister Cable, Sisters Morris and Martinec, Elders Sessions and Burtenshaw

Elders Sessions and Gerber are our District Leaders.
Sisters Morris and Martinec are in our ward.
Elders Burtenshaw and Toolson are our Zone Leaders.

Dai Hole, Terri-Ann McKenny, Jess Witts, Luc Rasmussen

Ben Edwards and Elder Burtenshaw

What a great experience. Elder Cable was able to baptize Raymond Shepherd, a sweet man who is very sensitive to the promptings of the Spirit. He told me that when he was baptized, "The Spirit was so strong. I could feel it all around me. When I came up out of the water, tears came to my eyes." And they did. Raymond was tracted out by Sisters Morris and Martinec. He has been a Jehovah Witness for 22 years and the break was very, very difficult for him, but he knew this is what the Lord wanted him to do and that he had to do it. Missionaries had tried to teach him years ago but he would not listen. When the Sisters knocked on his door he thought, "I need to let them in. I think God has brought them to me again." 

Norland Kapler is a student who was befriended by Syr Mambou, a recent convert. Syr talked to him about the Gospel and got him to listen to the missionaries. It has been an incredible experience to go with the Sister missionaries when they teach Norland. If he didn't quite understand a concept, Syr would often explain it to him in French or any one of a number of African languages. Norland was very accepting of the doctrines and principles and so determined to have a better life which he believes the Gospel can give him. And it can. Syr and Norland are now friends and will be a great help to each other. Norland came to Family Home Evening last week and he absolutely loved it. Syr and Norland come to Institute whenever possible (transportation is a problem) and they have both told us how much they have enjoyed the experience. Syr said, "I love the Apostle Paul, so I really enjoyed your lesson." They have so many challenges and trials to overcome and I pray for them daily. 

Our missionaries are great. You hear so much about goof-off missionaries, after all they are still very young. But I don't see it with the missionaries serving in our area. They are dedicated, obedient, humble, spiritual, hard-working missionaries. It is a blessing beyond measure and really unexplainable to be able to accompany them when they teach investigators. We have had some of our most spiritual experiences at these times. They have a way of bringing the Holy Ghost into the center of the discussions and it permeates the lessons. It is a privilege to know them. 

These are some of our favorite Institute Students. It is amazing how much we love them after such a short time. They surprise me daily with their goodness. For instance, Luc bore his testimony at the baptism (after apologizing for his scruffy appearance due to his impossible schedule) and said, "I was having a very hard week at Uni. I was just walking around listening [on his iPod] to a talk on the Fruits of the Spirit. As I did so someone's name came to my mind. I felt I should visit this person, so I did. I found that they were having a hard week also. We were able to share and when I left we both felt better. I know I was guided by the Spirit." I love that. First, how many university students walk around listening to talks by Church leaders on their iPod instead of music? Second, when he was prompted, Luc went straight-away and did as he was prompted. That's the way they are. Dai misses his mission so badly that he still wears his name tag on the inside pocket of his suit where others cannot see it, but it is still close to his heart. He shows it to me once in awhile, but adds, "But it has lost its power." But Dai is still powerful. He baptized Norland and was happy to do so and has taught incredible FHE lessons. Terry is the sweet and enthusiastic girl who talked about how Institute had "saved" her and was such a blessing in her life. Jess is very capable, talented, smart and spiritual. She came up to me a few weeks ago with a sparkle in her eyes and told me with excitement that she is going to General Conference in Salt Lake in April. It is a dream come true for her and she is just the type of person who should have the privilege. What a blessing and joy each of the young adults are in our lives. 

And another hope and blessing is Ben Edwards, a non-member who has decided to listen to the missionaries again. Ben has been very active in Institute and Family Home Evening for quite some time and we are very hopeful that he will actually join the Church. His comment after the baptism was, "There was a very warm feeling in my heart tonight." Dai said, "That's the Holy Ghost, Ben. Listen."  

3 comments:

Jim and Reenie said...

Hi Cables, I am so glad you got to practice on Jim and I in the MTC. That is why so many wonderful things are happening for you. (: These are awesome stories of young and old and miraceles comming forth. What a great opportunity to be a part of it. Also, how fun to work with all these young people - they are so much fun and can teach us alot. We really miss you and treasure our time with you at the MTC. We love you guys,

em said...

I got teary eyed just reading this. What wonderful people you are working with, and what uplifting, spiritual experiences you are having. I love how you talk about the people you know and how you pray daily for them. It makes me miss having those same feelings for the people I taught in Brasil. The ones who had to give up so much to join the Church, or for those YSA's who listen and are guided by the Spirit. Missionary work is truly amazing and I am so happy for you to be apart of it!

Becky said...

You guys are tearing it up in England! Can the elders keep a blog. It would be cool to keep up on my kids that way when they are gone. Somehow I think they can't. Keep working hard.