Saturday, February 14, 2009

Second Week of February 2009




It is amazing how many things can happen in a week. In addition to Ben, we learned that Kurosh wants to be baptized and it looks like that will happen on the 21st also.  Elders Session and Gerber stopped Kurosh on the street and talked to him about the Church. He had only been in Wales a few days, he listened to the Elders, and has accepted the Gospel. It appears to be true, the future of the Church in Great Britain and Europe is with the 18-30 year olds. It is an amazing privilege to be able to work with them.  

We have spent a tremendous amount of time this week studying the Gospel, part of the time preparing our Institute lessons, part of the time preparing a lesson for Relief Society, and a lot of time reading Preach My Gospel and reading and marking the scriptures referenced in PMG. I also finished the Book of Mormon for the second time since we started our mission. I only mention this to encourage my grandchildren and children to read, read, read the Book of Mormon.  I have gained an even stronger testimony of its truth and power. 

We had transfers this week and lost Sister Morris and Elder Sessions.  We will definitely miss both of them.  

I especially liked Institute this week as the students responded to the lesson and volunteered many, many comments regarding the Holy Ghost as a teacher of truth powerful enough to confound the mighty.  It was thrilling to me to see and hear them open up.  Their insights are deep and spiritually powerful.  

I gave a pass-along card to a Jewish Israeli at a stand in the mall in Cardiff. He said he hoped it wouldn't hurt his sale to me of products from the Dead Sea, but, "I am an atheist." I told him that it wouldn't. (I bought things I don't need.) We talked for a few minutes, I told him to look us up on mormon.org and he said he would. He said I could come back and talk to him any time and added, "And you don't have to buy anything." I told him I would like that. When we left he said, "God bless."  Interesting comment from an atheist!

Any time we can go with the Elders to teach Peter is a highlight. He is thoughtful, bright, serene, confident, studious and has such a simple and direct testimony of the truth.  I am continually amazed at how powerful the Spirit testifies when the Elders are teaching him and I believe it is because Peter has such strong faith and is so receptive to the teachings of Christ.  I hope and pray that his wife in Sierra Leone will receive the missionaries and join the Church too.  Peter is scheduled to be baptized soon and we are all looking forward to that. He could be such a powerful strength to the Church back in Sierra Leone, or anyplace else for that matter. 

1 comment:

Becky said...

Ooh, I love your picture on the eleventh. I love colorful, busy pictures like that.

We got a call from Doug today to see if anyone at our house wore a 16/35 shirt size (we think Jake is about that size). It turns out that Doug was downtown on Friday wearing jeans and a casual shirt when he found out that he had to go to the supreme court building to see someone get sworn in as a judge. So, in a hurry, he went to Utah Woolen Mills and paid $165 for a shirt that didn't fit him. He bought it anyway, wore it and is now trying to give it to someone. Jake will be the lucky recipient of a very expensive shirt! Evan claims he could wear that size, but we all know that his neck is bigger than 16" (I think he just wants to say he has a shirt that cost $165).

I thought you would get a kick out of that.

Keep up the fun pictures!