Sunday, May 3, 2009

Good-bye April Hello May




It is a very different experience to sit in sacrament meeting beside a new member as I did Sunday.  Harriet was baptized the night before.  Sunday morning we sang, "Praise to the Man" as the opening hymn. As we sang the words of this favorite hymn I realized this was probably the first time she ever heard that our beloved prophet Joseph Smith had "died as a martyr" and that "his blood" was "shed by assassins." It was a poignant thought to me.  It is amazing to see the gospel through new eyes.  

2 comments:

Julie said...

I can only imagine how that must have felt! I love that song and it chokes me up every time I sing it--for me it truly testifies of Joseph Smith in the most powerful way.

Katie Kerr Wrede said...

refreshing eyes aren't they? that new persepctive is so fresh and invigorating. I am sorry for her family situation. :(