Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's the Little Things

Often it is not the big things that make a mission so memorable and meaningful. It is the many little things. One of them was the testimony of Ben Edwards, one of our Institute students who was baptized in February. I would like to share a few things he said Sunday in Testimony Meeting: "I'm not the greatest reader. But any time I am driving or walking around I turn on my iPod and listen to some Conference talks. My mother asked me this morning if I thought I had done the right thing [in joining the Church]. I said, 'Definitely. I know it is the right thing or I wouldn't be going.' I am thankful for the Cables and that they are teaching Institute. Last week in Institute when someone [Paul Pratt] read the Introduction to the Book of Mormon it reminded me of the first time I read the Introduction. I had such a wonderful feeling that filled me. When I heard him read it at Institute, I felt that feeling again. It filled me. I must confess I didn't listen to much else. I just wanted to keep that feeling." That's what it's all about.

President Dearden spoke at the Stake Temple Fireside, encouraging the people to use the temple, to attend often. He said, "There are so many beautiful churches in Wales. They are a testament of the people of that time. So very many of these churches have been converted into low price goods stores, houses for derelicts, art and craft stores, homes and even garages. That is a testament of our time." Are our temples being used as they should and as much as they should?

Simon Hayes taught our Family Home Evening lesson about the history of the Church in Britain. In 1837 Joseph Smith asked Heber C. Kimball to go to England and start the work there. At the ordination of Elder Kimball, Orson Hyde was present and right then volunteered to serve also. They landed in Liverpool on July 20, 1837, and baptized their first converts on July 30, 1837 in the River Ribble. Within months there were hundreds baptized in England. Heber C. Kimball baptized 1,500 converts.

Dan Jones served two missions to Wales, the first in northern Wales and he baptized one person in a year of working there. His second mission was to southern Wales where he baptized 3,200 in one year. Most of his success was in Merthyr Tydfil. The Osmond family has roots in Merthyr Tydfil. Simon Hayes, our FHE teacher this night, is a 6th generation member of the Church. That is rare here as most of the early converts immigrated to Utah.


It was different teaching Institute this week in three different places with three very different classes, but each one was rewarding in their own way. It is an amazing privilege to discuss the principles of the Book of Mormon with thoughtful, responsive young adults.

As all of you know, General Conference was fabulous, but that is a story for another week.

No comments: