Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Down to the Wire


It must be about time.  We were invited to express our feelings to the Stake Presidency and the High Council this past Sunday.  That was a little intimidating, but a very good experience.  Our Stake President, Jamie Dester, is one of the greatest men I have ever met.  He is so loving and kind and the light of the gospel just shines from him.  He has a great smile and is generous in displaying it.  How lucky to be in our ward and stake.  

Our Bishop, Kent Larson, is fun and a very excellent man even if he does give me a hard time occasionally.  Five months ago when I told him I had fears about submitting our mission papers and going into the unknown he called me a "big baby" and told me to get out there.  This from my kind, sweet, spiritual bishop.  I will miss our ward and stake but am grateful for the strength they have been to me and for all the people who have taught me so well and set such exceptional examples of righteousness and helpfulness for me. Now is the time to put into practice all they have given us.  I hope we can represent them well, or at least not be an embarrassment to them. 

I was invited to lunch yesterday at the Little America to say good-bye to some of my friends from work.  It was most pleasant though sad to close the door on that part of my life.  I have learned so much about service, going the extra mile, generosity and that "good enough never is" from them.  I love their "can do" attitude and hope I take it with me.  

We speak in church Sunday, Julie and Cherie are helping us so much in the winding down process and they have no idea what a burden they have lifted from our shoulders, we turn our home over to Emily and Jeremy Leger who have been a blessing to us -- in fact one of the Lord's tender mercies manifest in our lives, then we enter the MTC Monday morning and fly to Birmingham, England on Thanksgiving morning at 8:30.  (We will take a little detour on Saturday the 22nd to come up here for Paige's baptism.  I'm glad we don't have to miss that.) We will be on our way before we know it.  We have communicated with our landlady so things are set.  We arrive in Birmingham at the Mission Home at 10:30 the morning of the 28th.  Be sure to write to us because we will be missing you. 

5 comments:

Marcy said...

That is SO exciting! Congratulations on your call! What a wonderful place you get to go to (or so I've heard)! God bless you!

em said...

And YOU have been a blessing for us at this time as well! I'm glad we can help each other ;)!
We look forward to hearing of your experiences and we will also keep you posted as to how Mitzi and the house are doing ;). You will be wonderful missionaries and are setting a great example to other couple missionaries!

Ruelinda said...

Wow, Your time is almost here how exciting for you, I mentioned to my son Elder Bearnson that you were coming and he said that was great, That the Branch was falling apart without the Blackhursts. I am not sure what that meant, but it sounds like they are anxiously waiting for you! However Wednesday is Transfer as you know....He could...move, you never know. He did mention the Zone should meet it's goal of 13 Baptisims this transfer!! He is sooo excited! They will be happy to see you. Good Luck to you both. You have a Great Adventure Ahead! Keep us Posted!

alison said...

I saw your blog on Carla Olsen's Facebook page and thought I'd take a peak. I didn't realize you were going on a mission. I hope you keep your blog updated while your gone because I would love to read it.

Alison

Katie Kerr Wrede said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving blessing! I envy the adventures and spiritual experiences you are soon to have. You are a wonderful person and deserve wonderful experiences!!