Sunday, January 18, 2009

Missionary Missionaries

Keergin Ji and Elder Cable

I've mentioned that we have been told not to look to the "missionaries" to do things when we meet people. In fact, we have been told, "You are the missionaries." Well Saturday we felt a little more like we actually were missionaries. I went with Sisters Morris and Martinec to teach the second lesson to Raymond, a Jehovah Witness, in his early 60s, I would guess. He was so nice and though he wanted to talk about so many other things off the subject, he did agree with what we taught him about The Restoration. He said, "I'm not going to tell people in our congregation yet because I don't want to upset or offend anyone, but when I am a Mormon then I can let them know gradually. When Sister Morris told him about the First Vision he said, "Isn't that lovely. Joseph Smith. I will have to remember his name. Maybe I will put it on a piece of paper and tape it to the wall. He is important." I truly enjoy going teaching with the missionaries and it was great to be able to add my testimony to the things they were teaching Raymond. He said the prayer at the end of the lesson. Very sweet. 


Sister Martinec, Keergin Ji, Sister Morris

In the evening we went to the baptism of Keergin Ji, a YSA age Chinese student. Jack Kirby came and Raymond came, as well as many, many of our Institute students and several from the Ward. It was a beautiful evening, filled with the Spirit. One of our students, Jess Witt, spoke on baptism and I spoke on the Holy Ghost. And Wayne was honored to do the baptizing. It was a lovely evening. Keergin was so happy to be baptized and has such a pure radiance about her. 

Jack Kirby is still being "persecuted" by members of his former congregation for joining the Church. Someone comes almost every day and tells him what a horrible thing he has done. They are mean about it. He said, "I don't understand. They didn't pay any attention to me before I joined the Church so why are they spending so much time coming to tell me what a terrible thing I have done now that I have joined the Church." Kind of like Joseph Smith when he told the ministers of his First Vision. He wondered why so many people would be so upset with what he, a boy, said. Satan is still alive and well. 

Raymond came to Church today and I sat by him. After every hymn, every talk, everything that happened he would say, "That's lovely." He asked me while the sacrament was being passed if it was okay for people to pray during this time. I said yes, so he bowed his head put his hands together and I could hear him say, "Dear Heavenly Father," and he continued to whisper a prayer. It was very sweet.

6 comments:

Shawna said...

I am so excited about all the experiences you guys are having. It sounds like all is going so well. Yes, we are back from AZ and I am back to stalking. We had a good trip and got lot of dental work done. Dick and Carole "picked up their papers", but their computer was down so couldn't fill anything out. I will send you an email tomorrow to fill you in. Love you both!!!

Larson Family said...

I think you are so "lovely." I absolutely adore reading the things you write on here. You sound amazing and I can't imagine anyone wouldn't love having you teach them about the Gospel.

em said...

Oh Claudine, these are such sweet stories....I love that Raymond whispered his prayer during the Sacrament. Isn't so wonderful to watch people learn about the gospel? It makes me want to be a missionary all over again when I read these experiences!

Karyn Parry said...

Your blog is great! It sounds like you guys are having a wonderful experience. At Christmas, Doug was telling me that you were on a mission. What a great service you are providing.

I was on Becky's blog and saw your comment to her. I thought I would check out your site. It will be great to stay in touch and watch your experiences unfold. Best of luck and continue enjoying yourself.

Ruelinda said...

I am so glad you are there for Jack Kirby, I will have to let Elder Bearnson Know you are taking good care of him. I love reading your blog it is awesome keeping up with your awesome experiences. Thanks so much for being so dediated.....love it,
Ruelinda

Jim and Reenie said...

Hello E&S Cable,
Congrats on the work you're doing!. We too are involved in teaching a couple here in ZA. It is great. Tonight we begin an area institute choir. I'm hopeful!Hoping for a mix of Africaaners and blacks so I get readers and singers. Our work is very tiring but satisfying. We will soon be over the office blitz with most in school, and we will begin travel to Lesotho and Namibia. We will have to do more of that since we are losing 4 PEF couples by April and no replacements have been called. Big shortage of Sr couples from US due to economy. Folk need FAITH!
Do well. Stay well.
E&S Von Stetten